Lots of people are looking around as the Olympic Torch Relay through Wensleydale (and the surrounding area) draws ever closer, for the precise route the eternal flame shall be travelling.
The Olympic Torch is coming to Wensleydale for a run out both past Aysgarth Falls and through Leyburn on Wednesday 20th June 2012.
The Olympic Games has a good website which shows the times that the Olympic Torch relay will be passing in various places.
The Olympic Torch will go first to Thirsk, Northallerton, then Bedale, before arriving at Aysgarth at 12:00 noon on the dot. It will travel through Aysgarth before appearing next at Leyburn, at 12:51.
Based on those timings, the torch will be travelling in a vehicle between Aysgarth and Leyburn – not on foot, so the “route” between the two locations does not matter so much (i.e. there should not be major delays on the A684 between Leyburn and Aysgarth!).
So to recap, here are the timings involved:
Olympic Torch Relay in Wensleydale – Wednesday 20th June 2012
- Aysgarth – 12:00 noon start – Torch Relay will start at the junction of the A684 (near Palmer Flatt Hotel – now renamed the Aysgarth Falls Hotel) and end at the National Park Aysgarth Falls Visitor Centre over the river Ure.
- Leyburn – 12:51 PM start – Torch Relay will start at the market place, and head up the A6108 (Richmond Road) towards Richmond, ending just beyond the Wensleydale School, at the edge of Leyburn (where the mini roundabout with Dale Grove is).
Any questions or comments about this, feel free to leave them below!
Information is available at the Olympic Torch Relay Route website.
|aysgarth to leyburn torch relay route|
- Olympic Torch Relay Route, Aysgarth Falls
- Olympic Torch Relay Route, Richmond, North Yorkshire
- Olympic Torch Route in Thirsk
- Olympic Torch Route in Leyburn
- Olympic Torch Relay Route, York